- The competition is open to anyone except those directly involved in the organisation and judging (including their families and relatives).
- Employees of sponsors who have not been directly involved in the organisation of this competition are eligible to enter.
- It is open to all professional and amateur photographers of any nationality.
- Entrants to the Adult competition must be aged 19 or over on December 9th 2016 .
- Entrants for Young British Life Photographer should be 18 years old or younger on the December 9th 2016.
- Entries must have been taken in the United Kingdom of Great Britain Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.
- Double exposures and other images that have been manipulated outside of the rules are not eligible.
- Images that have been entered into a major competition where the results are still pending are not eligible for entry.
- A picture that has already won a prize (winner, runner-up or commended) in a major competition (ie one receiving more than 500 images) national or international, cannot be entered in BLPA.
Opening and closing dates
The competition is open for entries from 2017. The closing date is December 9th 2016.
- Unless otherwise specified there is no limit on the number of images which can be entered into each category.
- All entries must be submitted digitally (scans from film, prints or negatives are acceptable).
- No digital files will be returned, but all low-resolution images, apart from those short-listed, will be deleted after the close of the competition.
- There is no limit to the number of categories an individual entrant can enter.
- No single image may be entered into more than one category.
- Black and white Images are eligible.
A panel of photography experts “the Judges” will select images based upon technical skill, diversity, originality and creativity of composition. The judging will be undertaken confidentially. The judges will assess entries and a shortlist will be produced following the closing date. All those on the shortlist will be contacted and will then have approximately 12 days to supply a high-resolution file. Failure to produce a high-resolution file within the designated time period could eliminate an entrant from the shortlist. The organisers cannot be held responsible for emails that do not arrive due to the entrant’s email security settings or restrictions placed by their Internet service provider.
Entrants whose images are shortlisted, will be asked to supply an extended caption and in some cases other information. All winners will be notified by phone or email. A list of the winners will be published on the competition website.
The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Copyright and permissions
By submitting images to the competition, each entrant confirms and warrants that:
- they are the sole author of each entry and that it is their original work;
- they own the copyright and any other intellectual property rights of each image;
- they have the permission of anyone photographed where permission is a legal requirement.
- they have not licensed or disposed of any rights in the image that would conflict with uses to be made by the competition; and
- They will indemnify BLPA against any third party claims for any photographs submitted to the competition, in respect of any infringement caused.
- By entering the competition, you grant BLPA and its sponsors and supporters a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence to reproduce, enlarge, publish or exhibit, on any media, the images for any purpose directly connected with the competition. This may include, but is not limited to: inclusion in a book of winning and commended images; display at exhibitions; display on a web browser for judging purposes; on the BLPA website and on the websites of sponsors and supporters; on social media used by BLPA, its sponsors and supporters; for use in releases to be distributed to national, regional & specialist press and other media giving information about or promoting the competition.
Limitations on use
- BLPA can sub-license images for reproduction in connection with the competition and exhibition only.
- BLPA will make every reasonable effort to ensure that name credits are given to any photograph published in any medium.
- Free usage of any photograph will not be permitted by BLPA, or any of its partners or sponsors outside of the scope of the competition and exhibition.
- There is no plan envisaged by BLPA, or any of its partners or sponsors, to create a general commercial library of the images entered into this competition.
- Entrants retain the copyright to images submitted.
- Images used on merchandise commissioned by the organisers will be discussed individually with the photographer concerned and a separate agreement made.
Publicity and marketing
Finalists agree to take part in post-competition publicity, for example attendance at an awards event.
- BLPA reserves the right to remove or refuse any entries from the competition for any reason.
- Entries will be refused or removed if in the sole judgement of the BLPA they could reasonably be expected to breach or contravene any applicable law or bring the competition, a sponsor, or the photographer into disrepute. Such entries will be deemed as void and any fees paid will not be refunded.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Should the entries in any category fall below the standard required by the competition organisers and the judges, then the organisers reserve the right not to award prizes.
- By accepting the Terms & Conditions of the competition and subsequently submitting your images, you have entered into an agreement with BLPA.
- Once entered, images cannot be withdrawn unless the organisers are notified of a permissions problem, in which case if the organisers are satisfied that there is evidence sufficient to justify withdrawal the images will be withdrawn but no refund will be payable.
- If you submit/upload fewer images than originally paid for then you will not be entitled to a refund. Credits are not carried over to future competitions and cannot be used after the closing date.
- If you feel you are entitled to a refund for any reason, you may request this by contacting us. We will consider all refund requests on a case-by-case basis and reserve the right to decline any refund for any reason. If a refund is approved, it will be actioned through the payment gateway you paid with. You will receive a full refund minus the gateway processing costs.
BLPA bears no responsibility for loss, damage or injury incurred as a result of participation (and / or) involvement in the competition and awards.
The information given in these Terms & Conditions is correct, but BLPA reserves the right to change any of it without prior notice. By entering the competition, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these Terms & Conditions. Any breach of these Terms by an entrant will void their entry. If a breach has occurred, but is discovered after the award of a prize, then the organisers may require the return of that prize.